The role of literary and aesthetic views in the epistolary of Lesia Ukrainka
Lesia Ukrainka’s private correspondence on the basis of factual material is analyzed in the article. Scientific approaches to the writer’s epistolary are studied and synthesized. It has been proved that the increase in the share of the literary and critical element in the poetess’ correspondence is due to the adverse conditions for the functioning of literature and criticism in a society that is characterized by the lack of special periodicals and has some
severe censorship restrictions. Thus, this phenomenon does not occur by chance, it is associated with the dominance of «grayness and adaptation» of
the press of that time, but instead in the letters one can observe the exchange of ideas, spiritual culture, cognitive thirst and encyclopedism, which could not only be suppressed, but peculiarly stimulated by the adverse conditions. Lesia Ukrainka’s letters are analyzed in the form of expressing evaluative judgments about the literature of that time. It is emphasized that the critical assessments of any phenomenon expressed in the poetess private correspondence attract attention both as peculiar, sometimes unexpected interpretations of these phenomena, and as a special form of self-expression, and as an attempt to interpret one’s own work, one’s aesthetic tastes and preferences, indirectly through the works of other authors. It has been established that Lesia Ukrainka realizes herself as a critic with well-developed aesthetic taste and professional skills. According to the analysis of Lesia Ukrainka’s private correspondence, epistolary literary criticism was in the constant development, absorbing all the best that was already inherent in the very nature of this genre and accumulated in the related fields. At the same time, the writer’s epistolary literary critique, which combined poetic flair with the talent of a critic and an analyst, developed in an ascending line – from the simple to more complex in content, form and aesthetic load of thoughts.
2. Hrushevskyi Mykhailo. Pam’iati Lesi Ukrainky. LNV. zhovtenhruden. 1913. S.11-14. [in Ukrainian].
3. Kukhar V. Roman. Do dzherel dramaturhii Lesi Ukrainky: monohrafiia. Viktoriia-Nizhyn, 2000. 268 s. [in Ukrainian].
4. Ukrainka Lesia. Zibrannia tvoriv u 12 t. T.8. Kyiv, 1977. 314 s. [in Ukrainian].
5. Ukrainka Lesia. Zibrannia tvoriv u 12t. T.10. Kyiv, 1978. 542 s. [in Ukrainian].
6. Ukrainka Lesia. Zibrannia tvoriv u 12t. T.11. Kyiv, 1978. 478 s. [in Ukrainian].
7. Ukrainka Lesia. Zibrannia tvoriv u 12t. T.12. Kyiv, 1979. 694s. [in Ukrainian].