Mobile technologies in use to develop lexical competence of English language learners
Learning a foreign language is certainly a complex and time-consuming process. Learners need to acquire a number of foreign-language competences that will help participants of the communication process use the language fluently in real context. Thus, the article examines the process of forming and developing English lexical competence of students by means of mobile applications. The concept of foreign-language lexical competence is complex in its nature, because it contains both linguistic and non-linguistic (psychological, sociological, cultural) features. Upon the analysis of an array of the resources, it is apparent that effective language learning and acquisition is possible via a structured presentation of learning materials and a systematic
teaching approach. The article also outlines the impact and role of modern technology in the learning process, mobile applications, in particular. The idea of integrating innovative mobile technologies into language learning involves improving the educational process on the whole, as well as training a competitive individual who is able to achieve goals, think critically, solve problems, and be a good communicator and collaborator. The emergence of game-based learning platform and mobile applications opens up many opportunities, as well as challenges, for teachers. Mobile phones and other smart gadgets are ideally suited to the development of Mobile-Assisted Language Learning (MALL). MALL is a language learning approach in which the use of smartphones and other mobile technologies is percieved by a modern learner as an advantage that helps to make the process more interactive and effective. The combination of available apps gives teachers numerous opportunities to introduce students to the English language learning tools that can help them develop their intrinsic motivation and improve their language skills. In the course of the research, two English language learning applications were analyzed alongside with two on-line educational platforms. The paper outlines the main peculiarities of these applications, and proves their effectiveness in EFL acquisition.
nacionaljnoji ghumanitarno-tekhnichnoji elity. Kharkiv, 2012. № 30. S. 242– 247 [in Ukrainian].
2. Krasulia A.V., Krymova A.V. Osoblyvostu mobilnoho navchannia dlia formuvannia navychok audiyuvannia u studentiv-perekladachiv / Suchasni pidhody ta innovatsiyni tendentsii u vykladanni inozemnyh mov : materialy XIІI Mizhnarodnoi naukovo-praktychnoi konferentsii, m. Kyiv, 12 kvitnia 2018 roku – Fakultet Lingvistyky NTUU «Kuivski politechnichny instytut imeni Ihoria Sikorskoho» [Elektronny resurs] – http://www.kamts1.kpi.ua/node/2413 [in Ukrainian].
3. Krasulia A.V., Loyan K.A. Perevahy ta nedoliky modilnyh informatsiynokomunikatyvnyh tehnolohiy navchannia angliyskoi movy studentiv vyshchyh navchalnych zakladiv / Sotsialno-humanitarni aspekty rozvytku suchasnoho suspilstva : materialy V Vseukrainskoi naukovoi konferentsii, m. Sumy, 19–20 kvitnia 2018 roku. Sumy, Sumskyi derszavnyi universytet, 2018. P. 272–273. https://ifsk.sumdu.edu.ua/images/doc/SGA_IFSK_2018. pdf [in Ukrainian].
Bighych O.B., Borysko 4. N.F., Borecjka Gh.E. ta in. Metodyka navchannja inozemnykh mov i kuljtur: teorija i praktyka: pidruchnyk dlja stud. klasychnykh, pedaghoghichnykh i linghvistychnykh universytetiv. Kyjiv: Lenvit, 2013. 590 s [in Ukrainian].
5. Nikolajeva S.Ju. Osnovy suchasnoji metodyky vykladannja inozemnykh mov (skhemy i tablyci): navch. posib. Kyjiv: Lenvit, 2008. 285 s [in Ukrainian].
6. Smolina S.V. Metodyka formuvannja inshomovnoji leksychnoji kompetenciji. Inozemni movy. Kyjiv: Lenvit, 2010. № 4. S. 16–23 [in Ukrainian].
7. Fedorenko Ju.P. Formuvannja komunikatyvnoji kompetenciji starshoklasnykiv na suchasnomu etapi. Zbirnyk naukovykh pracj Poltavsjkogho derzhavnogho pedaghoghichnogho universytetu im. V.Gh. Korolenka. Vyp. 2. Poltava, 2004. S. 82–87 [in Ukrainian].
8. Horbatiuk L., Kravchenko N., Lipych V. et al. Use of Mobile Applications for Foreign Language Lexical Competence Formation. Journal of History Culture and Art Research. Vol. 8. No. 3. September 2019. pp. 113–124 [in English].
9. Innovations in learning technologies for English language teaching [Electronic resource] G. Motteram (Ed.). London: British Council, 2013. 201 p. Access mode: https://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/sites/teacheng/files/C607%20Information%20and%20Communication_WEB%20ONLY_FINA L.pdf. [in English].
10. Nation, I.S.P. Teaching and Learning Vocabulary in Another Language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001. 477 p. [in English].