The Genesis of Novelty Thinking by M. Tomchaniy
The article explores the originality of M. Tomchanii’s prose in the process of its creation from the 1950s to the 1960s. Within the literary
tradition, the artist’s creativity belongs to the third generation of Transcarpathian prose writers (P. Khodanych), who had to live and create in the postwar period. In the course of the research it was determined that the artistic pursuits of the writer of the 1950s were characterized by didacticism and morality, artificial pathos of images, desire to wish for the real (happy life of the Transcarpathians in the conditions of Soviet power), the author’s distinction between «old» and «new». It is still difficult for a writer to go beyond the strict division of characters into positives and negatives. Such simplicity in the reproduction of the characters leads to a descriptive, static narrative. The characters of the early stories («Irinka», «The Patchwork Bag», «The Meeting», «Ball Gatherers») by M. Tomchani portray in the process of social change in society. The author is primarily interested in overcoming the characters of the property instinct, their life in the team.
The influence of the atmosphere of the sixtieth on the creativity of the writer of the 1960s has been revealed. The evolution of artistic hysteria and the
focus of the author’s intentions on the life of the individual; humanism and belief in the spiritual perfection of each person can be traced through the stories and short stories from the collections «Two Happy» (1958), «Hotel «Straw»(1960),»On the Border» (1962),»Trace in Cement» (1966), etc. In this
sense, the creative achievement of the artist is a continuation of a kind of «humanistic program» (V. Donchyk) initiated by Gr. Tiutiunnyk, the postulates of which lay in the foundations of a completely independent style branch of Ukrainian literature in the 1960s-1980s, marked by such names as A. Dimarov, B. Kharchuk, I. Chendey and others.
The period is marked by a humanistic pathos, a mildly ironic tone, a lyricism, a philosophical attitude, and a statement of national values. The composition of works of art is enriched with internal and external monologues of the characters, an unexpected isolation in the spirit of the classic short story, a lyrical image, the nature of which provides a special confessional tone of narration, aphoristic expression and so on.
2. Istoriia ukrainskoi literatury: u 8 t. Kyiv: Naukova dumka, 1971. T. 8. 574 s [in Ukrainian].
3. Koliadych Yu. Osoblyvosti poetyky maloi prozy Romana Ivanychuka : dys. ... kand. filol. nauk. Kyiv, 2008. 187 s [in Ukrainian].
4. Marynenko Yu. Problemy natsionalnoi identychnosti v ukrainskii prozi 40- 50 rokiv XX stolittia: dys. … doktora filol. nauk. Kirovohrad, 2006. 417 s [in Ukrainian].
5. Pop V. Tvorchist Mykhaila Tomchaniia : literaturno-krytychnyi narys. Uzhhorod : Patent, 1997. 160 s [in Ukrainian].
6. Tomchanii M. Dvoie shchaslyvykh. Uzhhorod : Zakarpatske oblasne vydavnytstvo, 1958. 112 s [in Ukrainian].
7. Tomchanii M. Pislia nochi : opovidannia / uporiad. ta prym. V. S. Popa ; khudozh.-oforml. M. M. Tomchanii. Uzhhorod : Karpaty, 1989. 301 s [in Ukrainian].