THE IMAGE OF CITY IN EPISTOLARY HERITAGE OF O. DOVZHENKO
The article for the first time comprehensively analyzed the image of the city in the epistolary heritage of Оlexander Dovzhenko. It is emphasized that the writer’s letters go beyond the relatively narrow limits of everyday informative communication, representing various modes of dialogue with other authors and texts. It is proved that along the descriptions of cities, in his letters appear descriptions of native nature filled with a lyrical stream. It is illustrated that historical events become part of the life of О. Dovzhenko. Proposed new interpretations of many private correspondence of the writer, which previously did not fall into the field of view of researchers.
The latest literary discourses (Yu. Marinenko, G. Semenyuk, M. Zhulynsky, R. Korogodskii, etc.) are marked by the search for new approaches to comprehending the creative phenomenon of O. Dovzhenko, approaches that are not burdened with tenderness and ideology. However, in view of the multidimensional and, to some extent, the contradictory reception of the artistic heritage of the master of the word, it seems appropriate to indicate the general in a certain sense, the tendency to study his work as a single and holistic process. In this sense, it is expedient to appeal to the epistolary heritage of O. Dovzhenko, because the letters themselves reveal in the pure form the true essence of man, in particular the creative person - the writer, the artist. They reveal his preference, his holiness, without concealing the shades, internal contradictions, much more fully and authenticly than other expressions of literary-journalistic statement.
Consequently, the analysis of the epistolary heritage of O. Dovzhenko testifies that the artist often refers to the description of cities in his writings. Therefore, the latter are evidence not only of the time in which the artist lived, but also of himself. Such correspondence gives an opportunity to get an objective impression about the writer’s world-view values, his artistic and aesthetic preference and creative personality.
2. Visimnadcyat lystiv pro koxannya. Oleksandr Dovzhenko Oleni Chernovij. Kultura i zhyttya. 1996. 27 lystopada (ukr).
3. Dovzhenko O. Tvory : V 5-ty t. T. 5. Uporyad. Yu. Solnceva; prymit. Kyyiv, Volynskoho. Kyyiv, 1985. 359 s (ukr).
4. Korohodskyj R. Velyka cytata abo lyubovni lysty polonenoho. Suchasnist”. 1999. №1. S. 129 – 140; №2. S. 108 – 122 (ukr).
5. Kocyubynska M. «Zafiksovane j netlinne». Rozdumy pro epistolyarnu tvorchist. Kyyiv, 2001. 299 s (ukr).
6. Koshelivec I. Deshho pro prozu Oleksandra Dovzhenka «Ya syn svoho chasu…» : (shtryxy do literaturno-mysteckoho portreta Oleksandra Dovzhenka) : navchalnyj posibnyk – xrestomatiya. Kyyiv, 2003. S. 200 – 207 (ukr).
7. Stepanova A. Misto na mezhax : estetychni hrani obrazu v literaturi perexidnyx epox. Aktualni problemy slovyanskoyi filolohiyi. 2009. S. 61 – 71 (ukr).