Dialogue with history as the acceptance of foreign literature training (by the example of V. Scott «Ivanhoe»)
The dialogue with history as a reception of studies at the foreign literature lessons is considered in the article. Dialogue with the epoch as one of the most active methodological ways for studying artistic works of the historical subjects is established. It is proved that the dialogue with the historical epoch promotes the formation of key competencies in the system of analysis of artistic and historical works, teaches students to determine the national identity and universal significance of literary works. The problem of the dialogical study of fiction is highlighted on the material of the novel by V. Scott «Ivanhoe».
Artistic works of foreign literature, provided by the program for textual study, are represented by the best Ukrainian translations. Literary works with a large volume are presented in a shortened form, which is sufficient for their discussion at the foreign literature lessons within the framework of the program of educational time. Works of foreign literature reflect the peculiarities of historical epochs, particular regions, specific peoples. This fact determines the comprehensive link between the course of literature and the school course of the world history study.
The effectiveness of work with the national works of foreign literature increases if there is a connection between literature and history. Conducting (dialogue) the parallel of the interrelation of literature and history is an important source of studying foreign literature at school, a key focus in the identifying other sources of information, in particular, historical, necessary for the study and understanding of artistic and historical work.
Thus, for evaluating and interpreting an artistic and historical work, an important stage is its analysis, during which students become acquainted with a reality, with the life of another nation, its past and present. The teacher must develop the students’ ability to perceive the facts and events of life, depicted in the literary work, to teach evaluate them from the standpoint of universal moral and ethical values correctly, reasonably.
In the historical novel by V. Scott «Ivanhoe» the real reality of England in the XII century is truly represented. This is an era in which the contradictions between the peoples who have not yet become the only nation have become aggravated in the country. It goes about the confrontation between the Normans-conquerors, which took over England from the end of the XI century, and Anglo-Saxons, which ruled England for several centuries and gave the country a new, modern name.
The novel «Ivanhoe» is built as the story of the knight Ivanhoe, who returns from Palestine to the country, where his Father Cedric’s curse expects him and where his patron – King Richard I Plantagenet has not yet returned.
2. Hradovskyi A. V. Ukrainska palitra na yevropeiskomu tli: formuvannia u maibutnikh vchyteliv-slovesnykiv navychok komparatyvnoho analizu khudozhnoho tvoru. Cherkasy, 2011.220 s. (ukr).
3. Dyha N.V. Rozvytok piznavalnoi aktyvnosti uchniv 5-8 klasiv na urokakh ukrainskoi literatury v protsesi vyvchennia khudozhnikh tvoriv istorychnoi tematyky : (monohrafiia). Pereiaslav-Khmelnytskyi : FOP Lukashevych O.M., 2012. 210 s. (ukr).
4. Miroshnychenko L.F. Metodyka vykladannia svitovoi literatury v serednikh navchalnykh zakladakh : (pidruchnyk). K. : Vyshcha shkola, 2007. 415 s. (ukr).
5. Skott V. Aivenho : ist. Roman : dlia sered. ta st. shk. viku; per. z anhl. Yu. Lisniaka ta H. Lozynskoi. K. : Natsionalnyi knyzhkovyi proekt, 2012. 496 s. (ukr).
6. Tokman H.L. Metodyka vykladannia ukrainskoi literatury v starshii shkoli: ekzystentsialno-dialohichna kontseptsiia. K. : Milenium, 2002. 320 s. (ukr).
7. Usi zarubizhni pysmennyky / Uporiad. O.D. Mikhilov 7. ta in.. Kharkiv : TORSINH PLIuS, 2009. 384 s.(ukr).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.